Best Slicer Consumer Ratings & Reports
Useful gadgets are increasingly appearing in our daily lives. And it is not surprising, because sometimes these devices do not just help to cope with this or that task, but make the process brighter and more interesting. Household slicer will help to decorate the holiday table or quickly prepare sandwiches for the whole family. In this article, the editors of the website “I found” prepared for you a review of the best models of home slicers.
Why and who needs a slicer?
A slicer is a kitchen appliance that helps to cut various products into beautiful and equal-thickness slices. Certainly, it is not a must-have item that should be in every kitchen, but it still has its advantages.
The process of cooking with the slicer is not only beautiful, but also fast. For example, when you need to prepare several dishes, salads and appetizers at once for the arrival of guests, the slicer will help to cut all the necessary ingredients many times faster than you can do it with an ordinary knife, unless, of course, we are talking about the skills of professional chefs. And the time saved can be spent on yourself and on getting ready for guests.
In addition, equally thin and even slices of food on a plate with a cut or salad look much more attractive and appetizing. In addition to holidays, the slicer can also come in handy in everyday life. The slicer can quickly handle slicing vegetables for preserves, cheese and sausage for sandwiches, any other foods for pizza, and more.
However, not all foods can be sliced with this device. It is strictly forbidden to use the electric knife for:
- raw meat;
- meat with bones;
- frozen foods;
- vegetables and fruits with bones.
Types of slicers
Today manufacturers offer slicers of three types:
- Mechanical. This is the simplest kind of slicer, and therefore inexpensive. Externally, it is similar to the usual grater, but there are still design differences. The disadvantage of such a slicer is that you can not use it to slice soft foods, such as: bread, fish, tomatoes, etc. Basically, a manual slicer is used for slicing vegetables and fruits.
- Semi-automatic. Ideal for home use. Semi-automatic slicer has a compact size and low noise level when working. The device will not bring a lot of energy and is also much cheaper than a fully automatic gadget. A semi-automatic slicer requires the chef to be involved in the slicing process. The knife spins itself, but the carriage with the product must be moved manually. However, it is still faster than shredding with an ordinary kitchen knife, and the slices will turn out even, thin and uniform. You can cut with such a device almost all permitted products, both soft and more dense.
- Automatic. Using an automatic slicer is the fastest and easiest way to make slices. All that is required from the cook is to fix the desired product in a special compartment and press a button, and the device will complete the process itself. Such electric slicers are usually used in cafes and restaurants, various food shops, in store kitchens. To the disadvantages of the device can be attributed noise and size.
What nuances should be considered when choosing a slicer for your home?
In order not to be disappointed in the purchase of the slicer, it is best to learn in advance about all the important points and nuances that may arise in the process of operation. So, choosing a slicer for the home, you should pay attention to:
- The power of the device. Manufacturers offer slicers of different capacities. As a rule, this value ranges from 80 to 200 watts. For home use, a power of 100W will be quite enough.
- Knife. Here it is important to consider several factors at once:
- Quality. The knife must be made of quality material and preferably self-sharpening. This is usually stainless steel, which has high strength. Some companies use knives made of ceramic.
- Speed of rotation. Products of different density should be sliced at different speeds. Therefore, if the slicer is equipped with the function of adjusting the speed of rotation of the knife, this is a definite plus.
- Type of sharpening. Electric slicers use straight or wave-sharpening knives. As a rule, more expensive models have a wave-shaped blade. If we consider the form of sharpening from the perspective of efficiency, the straight knife is universal for cutting sausages, vegetables and fruits. And wavy blade is better for cutting soft bread and muffins.
- Body material. As with many household appliances, the body of the slicer can be plastic or metal. In this case, which of the two options chosen by the manufacturer is not so important. The efficiency and performance is not affected. But the advantage of models with a plastic body is a lower price.
- Dimensions. Regular use of the slicer implies its constant presence somewhere on the kitchen work surface. Therefore, before buying, it is important to allocate this very place and decide on the possible size of the device.
- Feet. For safety reasons, it is important that the device does not slip on the table surface when working. Therefore, you should choose models with rubber feet.
- Locking. Safety is very important, especially when there are small children in the house. Having a locking feature will protect users from accidental activation.
The Gemlux GL-MS-190 is a semi-automatic slicer for home use. The thickness of the slices is adjustable from 0 to 15 mm. The circular knife is mounted at an angle, so that the slicing process does not cause fatigue to the cook. With a heavy workload, this factor is especially important. Rubberized feet firmly hold the device on the working surface of the table. Also for safety, there is a carriage, where the cut product is loaded, which protects the hands from accidental injury.
In the care of the device is not fastidious, all the necessary parts can be easily removed and washed.
- easy to clean;
- sharp circular knife;
- metal body;
- rubber feet;
- safe to use;
- easy adjustment of cutting thickness.
- not detected.